It looks like Hurricane Ike is going to make landfall on the Texas coast south of Galveston around midnight Friday. This means we will be on the "dirty" side of the storm. They are predicting it to be catagory 4 storm when it hits land. They say we will start experiencing 39 mph or higher winds beginning Friday morning and Hurricane winds of 75+ mph Friday afternoon, then at least 39 mph winds will continue through Saturday evening. Along with the wind we will also have lots of rain. The tides in Galveston will be above normal with a storm surge of 6-8 feet. They have started mandatory evacuations for people living along the coast, and voluntary evacuations for those living in low-lying areas.
As for us...I think Mike will be working from home for the next couple of days, and I am going to try to do the same. We will be putting the storm shutters up tomorrow, and plan to stay at home. We have plenty of water and food to last several days even if we do loose power.
As you all know, Mike and I are big on technology. We have already figured out how I can update the blog if we do loose power for several days. Our laptops will be fully charged, and we have a power inverter in the truck if we need to charge them after loosing power. Then both of our PDA phones can be used as a modem, so we will then have internet access. I will try to keep the blog updated as to what the situation is here.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment